When we begin to feel disconnected from our lives and our work, we are usually searching for something else, like new challenges or an escape from who we are. It can also be because we don’t know how to love where we are right now and where we want to take ourselves in the future.
This is why being self-aware and accepting of yourself is so important: self-awareness helps us understand where we are right now and what we need to do to get there; acceptance helps us let go of who we aren’t yet so that we can become who we want to be in the future.
How to start building your confidence and practicing self-awareness:
Cultivating self-awareness requires continuous practice. Here are 9 habits to help you to start:
1. Make Habits That Help You Cultivate Self-Awareness
We are all different. Trying to force yourself to be someone you’re not will only end in frustration and disappointment. It’s better to adopt some habits that help you cultivate self-awareness. These habits include observing your thoughts, feelings and behaviours. Observing your thoughts will help you become aware of your cognitive biases. This will in turn help you identify what thoughts are inaccurate and not helpful for your growth. Observing your feelings will help you become aware of your emotional makeup. This will in turn help you identify what feelings are actually yours and which ones are influenced by those around you.
2. Be Aware Of Your Thoughts And Feelings
One of the most important ways to become more self-aware is to become more aware of your thoughts and feelings. A person with self-awareness can better understand their strengths and weaknesses, identify their values and motives, and how to best navigate through difficult situations. There are two main ways to be more mindful of your thoughts:
- Mindfulness meditation: This is one of the most effective ways of cultivating self-awareness. It helps you become more aware of your thoughts, feelings, and behaviours by slowing down your brain waves, reducing stress and increasing mental clarity. Finding a quiet, comfortable space to practice meditation can take time, but with consistent practice, it will become easier to do.
- Mindful journaling: Mindful journaling is a type of journaling where you observe your thoughts and feelings as you write down what you’re experiencing in your mind. Journaling helps you become more aware of your thoughts so that you can identify what are valuable, what are assumptions and what are actual feelings.
3. Recognize your strengths and weaknesses
You can’t grow and change if you don’t recognize your strengths and weaknesses. You might recognize them as flaws, but they are actually your greatest strengths that you just need to be aware of. When you know what you are good at and what you are not so good at, you can identify potential areas of improvement. This way, you can take steps to develop your weaker areas while focusing on your strengths. You can also use this knowledge to identify what you are good at, what you’d like to focus more on, and what you’d like to let go of. It is important to recognize your strengths because it helps you grow and become a better person. People who don’t acknowledge their weaknesses are simply wasting their time and energy.
4. Don’t compare yourself with others
Comparing yourself with others is never a good idea. It will only distance you from where you’re at and where you’re going. Instead of comparing yourself to others, try to identify your own strengths and weaknesses. This will help you identify potential areas of improvement and focus on your strengths while letting go of your weaknesses. It’s important to understand that we are all different and there is no one way to be successful.
5. Challenge your beliefs
There is a lot of information floating around us. Some of it is true, while some of it is just a myth. It is important to challenge beliefs that are not true in order to grow and develop as a person. Some examples of beliefs that need to be challenged include: - I will never be successful - Everybody hates me - I can’t do anything right - I have to be perfect in everything I do - I should be happy with my life the way it is - I have to be perfect in order to be loved
6. Ask yourself why you’re doing somethingThere are many times when we make decisions without really thinking of the reasons behind them. This can lead to poor decisions that we later regret. When making a decision, ask yourself why you are doing it. This will help you identify what your motives are, and why you’re making a certain choice, and help you make better decisions in the future.
7. Ask yourself what you’d like to learn next
There are many things to learn in life and you need to prioritize which ones you want to learn more about. It is important to pick something you’d like to learn more about. This way, you will always have something to work on. Picking something to learn more about will help you improve in that area.
8. Take note of everyday events and occurrences
Cultivating self-awareness will help you become more aware of your surroundings. When you notice something interesting or something that catches your attention, make a note of it. This will help you become more aware of your surroundings and help you figure out what you’d like to learn more about.
9. Try activities that encourage self-reflection
There are many activities that you can do to help you become more self-reflective. Take note of your thoughts and feelings as you write them down. Journaling helps you become more self-reflective and helps you identify what your thoughts and feelings are. Try doing daily mindful breathing exercises to help you become more self-reflective. This will help you become more aware of your thoughts and feelings.
Explore our blog and website to find useful resources, templates, and guides to help you advance in your job search, or book a Free 15-minute meeting with us today to learn more about how our services can help you reach new milestones in your career journey!